Mold, What is it and How Dangerous is it Really?

May 24, 2019 | Blog

Mold.  It’s unsightly and smelly, but how unsafe is it really?  Households everywhere have experienced mold whether on bathroom tiles, around sinks, or in damp basements.  The truth is, that mold is everywhere.  It’s been around for millions of years and is all around us in the air and on surfaces.  So what is mold, and is it dangerous?  Taking a closer look will help you understand this common occurrence and determine what you can do to prevent it and the possible side effects of its presence.

What is Mold?

  • Molds are a form of fungus. There are many species found indoors and outdoors.  Molds produce spores that are very tiny and light, allowing them to become airborne or to be inhaled easily.  These spores are extremely hardy and are present in almost all indoor and outdoor conditions.

What Causes Mold to Form?

  • Mold spores are quite literally, everywhere. However, for mold to start actively growing, the spores must come in contact with moisture.  Places that are humid, wet, or warm create perfect breeding grounds.  Common culprits include leaky roofs, windows, or pipes and any type of flooding.  Mold can be seen in plain sight or caught hiding behind walls or under carpets.  It can grow on lots of different surfaces including paper, carpet, insulation, drywall, fabric, upholstery, and wood.
  • Once mold starts growing, it does not take long to notice. It can appear as white, black, yellow, green or blue.  It is often fuzzy in texture and produces a musty odor.

How Harmful is Mold?

  • When it comes to mold, everyone is at risk, even the healthy. However, not everyone exposed will have a reaction or develop an illness.  Some people are more sensitive to mold.  There are also those who are more susceptible and at risk.  They include the elderly, infants and children, those with respiratory issues like asthma, those with compromised immune systems, and those with chronic lung disease.
  • Those more sensitive to mold or with an allergy to mold may experience the following symptoms:  headaches, sore throat, nasal stuffiness, wheezing or coughing, throat irritation, eye irritation, asthma attack or asthma-like symptoms, lung infection, sinus infection, rash or hives, fatigue, depression, or a weakened immune system causing constant sickness.
  • Diagnosis and treatment from a doctor may be needed if you have mold in your home and are experiencing any of these symptoms of mold-related illness.  However, symptoms will likely continue even with treatment until all of the mold is removed from your home.

The chances are high that you will have to deal with mold in your house.  The best way to prevent possible damage or harm to your health is to take care of it immediately.  Most small areas can be treated with cleaners or bleach.  If you notice a larger problem or if you experience a water emergency, then calling the right professionals to come and help is key.  Mold can begin forming in as little as 24 hours after a water disaster, so time is critical.

At Pro Response Restoration our top priority is the safety and health of our customers.  We can be on site within an hour or less.  We will thoroughly assess the area and start the water removal and drying process to prevent any additional problems.  When you need water damage cleanup call Pro Response Restoration right away!

 

Additional Resources & References:

https://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

https://www.poison.org/articles/2011-oct/mold-101-effects-on-human-health

https://www.webmd.com/women/mold-mildew#1

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288651.php

 

Related Blog Posts:

What Can Happen if I Leave Water Damage Untreated?

After Water Damage, How Long Does it Take for Mold to Form?

Effects of Water Damage on Materials in your Home

Day Or Night Emergency Cleanup