LEARN MORE ABOUT GARLAND TX
Immigrants began arriving in the Peters colony area around 1850, but a community was not created until 1874. Two communities sprang up in the area. A rivalry between the two towns ensued as the area began to grow around the Railroad depot. Eventually, to settle a dispute regarding which town should have the local post office, Judge Thomas A. Nash asked visiting Congressman Joe Abbott to move the post office between the two towns. The move was completed in 1887. The new location was named Garland after U.S. Attorney General Augustus Hill Garland. Soon after, the towns were combined, and the three areas combined to form the city of Garland, which was incorporated in 1891.
Today, Garland is home to such attractions as the Plaza Theater.