LEARN MORE ABOUT UNIVERSITY PARK TX
University Park began as a cluster of homes surrounding the fledgling Southern Methodist University, which was founded in 1915. The university supplied these homes with utility service until 1924, when the growing population could no longer be supported by the school’s utilities. In response, the area’s homeowners first sought annexation into the town of Highland Park, but were refused due to the high cost that would have been required to provide the necessary utility and safety services.
Determined to confront the challenges before them, community leaders organized to incorporate as a separate individual city. According to state law, incorporation required that area residents hold an election on the issue before the new city could be officially formed and recognized. On April 24, 1924, voters approved the measure by a 5:1 margin. Operating under the commission form of government, the city began the work of shaping the new government and addressing the pressing need to establish basic municipal services.
Today, University Park is home to such landmarks as the University Park United Methodist Church.