Spring is in the air. It’s that time of year where we feel motivated to tackle projects around the house and give our homes a good cleaning. With that in mind we have put together a list of 3 projects you can take on this weekend to get you started.
- Spring and Fall are a great time to check on your gutters and get them back into working shape. A gutters main purpose is to lead water away from your home. Clogs or leaks can lead to poor drainage and that can cause possible foundation, sidewalk, or driveway damage from soil erosion. Extra water landing at the base of your home can also mean flooding in basements and crawl spaces. Water in these places can quickly mean water damage including the even bigger problem of mold.
- Routine maintenance should include clearing away leaves and other debris so that water is draining properly. Gutters should be checked for damages and repairs made where needed. Clear any clogs from the gutter’s downspout. Be sure that water is draining far enough away from your home and attach an extension or splash block if needed to divert water.
- If needed, replace your gutters. This is a relatively inexpensive home repair and will be well worth it to ensure your home is safe from possible structural damages due to water damage.
- Siding can take a beating from winter snow and wind. Be sure to check for any cracks, gaps, or peeling. Gaps will need to be re-caulked. Warped, loose, or damaged pieces will also need to be repaired or replaced.
- Older, weather siding may need to be replaced. There are a lot of options out there including more energy-efficient and easy maintenance options.
- Winter weather can leave caulk and putty in window seals weathered and worn down. Having proper seals on windows and doors can bring added protection against water damage and leaking hot or cold air.
- Check around windows and doors for signs of damage. Re-caulk seals where needed.
- Other window repairs may include checking screens for signs of damage and replacing weather stripping.
Spring is a great time to get out and complete much needed maintenance around your home. A lot of these projects can be done fairly quickly if you’re willing to put in the time. A lot of home disasters, like water damage, can be avoided with regular maintenance and a little TLC. Happy Spring!
Related Blog Posts: