Bad Habits can have devastating consequences. In many circumstances, fires are caused by carelessness or human error. To prevent fires and keep your home and family safe, you may need to change some old habits. Our list gives you a great place to start.

Kitchen Carelessness

  • Kitchen fires account for nearly 50% of all reported fires. Being alert, present, and focused in the kitchen when stove tops and ovens are in use is pivotal.
  • Keep small children at least 3 feet away from cooking areas.
  • Remove any type of flammable like potholders or towels when cooking.

Unattended Candles

  • Candles can set the mood and offer some sweet-smelling scents, but caution should be taken when they are lit. Never leave an open flame unattended, especially when small children are present.
  • Only light candles in areas where they are away from anything that could catch fire and avoid putting candles in children’s bedrooms.
  • Consider using flameless candles that can still offer some of the same benefits without the risk.

Ignoring Dryer Lint

  • Lint is extremely flammable and when it meets extreme heat, this can become a big problem. Your dryer vent should be cleaned properly after every load. Also check your exhaust duct regularly for buildup.
  • Check behind your dryer often for stray socks, lint, or other buildup that may create a dangerous situation.

Overloading Outlets

  • Electrical outlets can only transfer so much electricity. If too many things are plugged in at once, these circuits can become overloaded causing a small explosion or fire.
  • Power strips can be used to help with overcrowding of outlets.
  • Consider unplugging appliances when not in use. This will save on electricity and help minimize shock and fire risk.

Misuse of Cords

  • All electrical and extension cords should be checked regularly for signs of wear and tear or damage. Be sure to replace all damaged cords.
  • Cords should never be run under carpets, rugs, doors, or windows.
  • Extension cords can come in handy, but they only meant to be used temporarily. Too many connected cords can cause a short circuit, igniting a fire.
  • Be aware of cord placement. Make sure they are not in an area that may cause a tripping hazard.
  • Never plug a space heater or fan into an extension cord or power strip.

Habits that may be putting your home in danger may be difficult to change, but definitely worth it. Doing your part to prevent fires can make a big difference in keeping your home and family safe.

 

Related Blog Posts:

Make Fire Safety a Priority This Year

5 Electrical Safety Tips

Should I Worry About Asbestos in My Home

5 Things You Need to Know About Asbestos

How to Create an Emergency Communication Plan

Things to Remember in the Aftermath of a Disaster

Categories:

No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *