Most electrical fires can be prevented. Knowing what you need to be on the lookout for and avoid can keep your home and family safe. Below we have outlined 5 safety tips that should be followed.
Don’t Overload Your Outlets
- Electrical outlets can only transfer so much electricity. If too many things are plugged in at once, these circuits can become overloaded causing a small explosion or fire.
- Use a power strip to help with overcrowding of outlets.
- Consider unplugging appliances when not in use. This will save on electricity and help minimize shock and fire risk.
Be Smart About Cords
- Inspect all electrical and extension cords regularly for signs of wear and tear or damage. Replace all damaged cords.
- Cords should never be run under carpets, rugs, doors, or windows.
- Only use extension cords on a temporary basis.
- Be aware of cord placement. Make sure they are not in an area that may cause a tripping hazard.
- Never plug a space heater or fan into an extension cord or power strip.
Use Proper Wattage
- For lamps, fixtures, and appliances be sure to use proper wattage for bulbs. If no wattage is listed, then use a 60-watt bulb or less. For ceiling fixtures that are unmarked, use 25-watt bulbs.
- Consider switching to LED bulbs. They consume less power and reduce the risk of fixtures overheating.
Avoid Water Near Electrical Equipment & Outlets
- Water is a conductor of electricity. Even slight exposure can be dangerous. Prevent electrocution by keeping all electrical equipment away from water. That includes any types of plants, aquariums, sinks, showers, and bathtubs.
- Wipe up any spills that may occur quickly.
- If working on electrical equipment, be sure your hands are dry.
Keep Kids Safe
- Install tamper-resistant safety caps on all unused outlets.
- All loose or unused cords should be wrapped up and stored away from pets and children.
- Install smoke alarms in the home. Check them monthly and change batteries yearly. Replace alarms after 10 years of use. Have a fire escape plan and practice it regularly with children.
- Keep paper and other combustibles at least 3 feet away from space heaters and other heat sources.
Keeping your home and family safe is everything. Taking the needed precautions when using electricity is an important step. When followed, these safety tips will be a great benefit in preventing the damage and devastation that fires can bring.
Related Blog Posts: