Mold is often difficult to spot. Growth in homes is often found around bathrooms, carpet, ceiling tiles, basements, drywall, wallpaper, under sinks, and around piping. To avoid this type of water damage, it’s important to keep up on home maintenance and check often for any signs you may have a problem. You can get started with our top 5 warning signs to look out for that may indicate you have mold.
- You often smell mold before you see it, so don’t ignore it. Mold will often take on a musty or damp odor. If the smell is stronger in one particular area or room, then that may be the source of the water damage. If you do suspect mold, you should have your home thoroughly inspected before things get worse.
Visible Signs of Mold
- Mold can grow on almost any surface including ceilings, wallpaper, flooring, wood, and insulation. It is typically easy to spot. It will appear as white or black specks. Visible mold growth can be a sign that there may be a larger problem lurking behind a wall or ceiling. These problems should be addressed immediately.
- Even small spots of mold should not be ignored. They can easily spread, and it shows that conditions are present that are encouraging the growth.
- Humid areas and areas with high water use are the most common places for mold. Be observant of bathrooms, laundry rooms, refrigerators with ice machines, kitchens, basements, and around water heaters.
Visible Signs of Water Damage
- If you have water damage, the chances are high that mold may also be lurking. Pay attention for any signs of dampness, softness of material, discoloration, bubbling, or wrinkling.
- Watch for floors that are warped or popping up. Pay attention to any damp or wet spots on carpets and other floorings. Look for water along baseboards.
- Most water damage starts with a leak. There are signs you can look for to indicate you may have a problem including a sudden change in water pressure, a steep increase in water bills, or the sound of dripping, trickling, or rushing water, especially behind walls
- Roof leaks are also a common culprit for water damage. Signs of damage may include drips, discoloration on ceilings, crumbling drywall, shingles that are cupped or curling, musty smells in the attic, wood decay in the attic and around windows, and mold on insulation.
- It’s always important to take care of leaks quickly. Even small leaks, like under a sink, can lead to big problems if not repaired immediately
- The chances of mold growth after flooding is extremely high. Mold can easily go undetected when it grows under floors or behind walls. If your home has had any kind of flooding a mold check from a professional water restoration company will be important to ensure the problem is taken care of and to ensure damages will not take place in the future.
Mold is not something you want to go unchecked. It can cause health problems and compromise the integrity of your home’s structure. If you see signs you may have a mold problem, it’s important to address it right away. If you ever have questions or are ready to call a professional for removal, our Pro Response Water Restoration Team is ready to take your call #469-858-1811.
Related Blog Posts:
Additional References & Resources: