Do it yourself is all the rage. While a lot of DIY projects will save you time or money, there are some home maintenances that are better left to the professionals.
- Exposure to asbestos fibers can be extremely harmful. Some of the long-term effects include mesothelioma, asbestosis, or lung cancer. Homes built before the 1980’s will most likely have asbestos. However, it’s important to note that asbestos isn’t dangerous until it is damaged or moved. If your home is in good shape, you may not have to worry too much, but you may want to have it removed to avoid any potential problems.
- If you suspect your home may have asbestos, it is highly recommended that you have your home evaluated by a professional, especially before starting any home projects. Asbestos can be difficult to detect because you cannot see, smell, or taste it. An outside lab test will be the best way to determine if there is a problem.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers guidelines and information about how to collect asbestos samples for testing. It is highly recommended that a certified asbestos professional is hired to minimize exposure and to do the job safely and efficiently.
- Mold and mildew are a common occurrence in most homes, but it’s important to know when you may have a bigger and potentially more dangerous problem. Mold can trigger allergic reactions and bring on flu-like symptoms. Those with weakened immune systems are especially at risk. If you are suspicious that someone is experiencing these effects then you may have a bigger mold problem.
- Small spots of mold can typically be cleaned up easily with home cleaning solutions. Spots larger than 3 feet will likely require a more thorough inspection and cleaning from a professional. Similarly, if you have cleaned up an area of mold but musty odors remain, then you may have growth beneath the surface of your wall, floor, or ceiling. Materials may need to be ripped out to properly locate the source.
- Mold does not grow without moisture. When mold is found, the source of the moisture must also be addressed, or the mold will return. If you have found mold near a window, on a ceiling, or under flooring due to a leak, then you will want to consider calling in the professionals to do the cleanup. Professionals will know how to handle the water damage properly and ensure that there is no further mold exposure.
- Mold in your HVAC system could lead to big problems due to the possibility of spreading mold spores throughout the home. Attics and basements are often the places where these types of problems start. If you think you have a mold issue in your A/C Unit, Heating, or HVAC system then you will want to take precautions. Do not run the HVAC system as it may spread mold further. Consult a professional and use the EPA guide to help you.
- When water heaters need to be replaced, a professional should always be called. Tanks are heavy, need to be installed level, and require proper ventilation to avoid leaks. Fittings and connections need to be installed precisely and securely to avoid potential risks associated with gas leaks.
- Water heaters should be checked annually and have maintenance done every three years by a professional. Always be on the lookout for any signs of corrosion, leaks, or a tank that bulges.
- Your roof should be checked regularly for signs of wear and tear. Cracked, buckled, or missing shingles will need to be properly replaced to avoid potential water damage.
- Safely handling roof repairs can be very risky. Rooftops can be steep and sometimes multistory which means caution must be taken. With all this is mind, hiring a professional may be your best bet to avoid mistakes and to keep you safe.
Safety is an important thing to consider when doing any home maintenance project. Weighing the risks versus savings is definitely something to think twice about. Hiring a professional to get the job done may be what is best to avoid mistakes and possible dangers.
Related Blog Posts: