A word that is never fun to hear, mold. There are a lot of questions when it comes to mold. How dangerous is it, really? When do I need to worry about it? Can I remove it myself, or do I need a professional? We’ve got your answers today with what to do if you find mold in your home.

FIRST- DETERMINE THE PROBLEM

  • With water damage and flooding, it takes as little as 24 hours for mold to begin growing. It can affect everything from personal items to the structural integrity of your home. Although you may not see it for 1-2 weeks, once mold grows, it can be difficult and expensive to take care of. If wet areas are not dried completely, they are a breeding ground for mold and fungi to grow and flourish.
  • Mold is typically easy to spot. It looks like white or black spots. You may see it as a stain on walls, or ceilings. It can grow on almost any surface including ceilings, wallpaper, flooring, wood, and insulation.
  • Often you can smell mold before you see it. It will give off a musty or damp odor.

SECOND- KNOW WHEN TO CALL

  • When taking on the task of cleaning mold there are several factors to consider. Most jobs that cover only a small surface such as in a bathroom or kitchen can be handled using soapy water or a bleach and water solution. Precautions should be taken, especially if you are someone with asthma or severe allergies.
  • If the water damaged area is larger than 10 feet, then you may need to consult a professional. You can also use recommendations from the EPA guide.

THIRD- MAKE THE CALL

  • Remember that mold does not grow without moisture. When mold is found, the source of the moisture must also be addressed, or the mold will return. If you have found mold near a window, on a ceiling, or under flooring due to a leak, then you will want to consider calling in the professionals to do the cleanup. Professionals will know how to handle the water damage properly and ensure that there is no further mold exposure.
  • Never deal with contaminated water on your own. If water or mold damage was caused by water left by sewage or washing, then professionals should be called.
  • If you think you may have a mold issue in your A/C Unit, Heating, or HVAC system then you will want to take precautions. Do not run the HVAC system as it may spread mold further. Consult a professional and use the EPA guide to help you.

AND DON’T FORGET…

  • Mold can be dangerous and should be addressed. Exposure happens when toxins from mold have been inhaled, ingested, or absorbed. If mold is hiding in a wall, for instance, it may not have made its way into the air yet. However, it does not mean that you should ignore the problem. If exposed to mold, especially over a period of time, it can cause serious health problems and even destroy the structure of your home.
  • If mold is not cleaned up properly then it will continue to grow, putting you and your home at risk.

Mold can cause some serious health problems and put the structure of your home at risk. If you have a mold problem, it should be taken care of immediately. Hiring the right professionals to do the job is an important first step. At Pro Response Restoration we are experts in mold removal. Our team is trained and ready to tackle your job and get you back safely into your home as quickly as possible. Call us today!

 

  

Related Blog Post:

Preventing Mold in the Bathroom

Preventing Mold Growth in the Laundry Room

When to Worry About Mold

Categories:

No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *