Did you know that on average over 14,000 homeowners rush to deal with water leak emergencies every day? When a water disaster strikes it can be overwhelming and you might be stuck not knowing what to do first. Knowing the services that are out there, and when to call in experts to help can save you time and stress in a difficult situation.
What Services Are Available To Help?
- For water emergencies, there are services available. Providers of this service are often referred to as Water Mitigation, Remediation, or Abatement. These terms are all equivalent and refer to professionals who are called in to clean-up and prevent future damage. They work to treat or reverse damage caused by unwanted water accumulation. Their work includes the complete process of water cleanup, including water removal, drying or disposal of items and structures, and moving items back into place.
When Should You Call An Expert?
- Just like any emergency, it is always important to be safe. If the source of your water leak is evident and safely accessible, shut off the main valve or close the window or door from which water is getting into the property. If you are unable to stop the water, call a professional plumber immediately.
- Once the water is off, assess the situation. If the water is cleaned up easily with no other apparent damage, then you can clean up, wait for drying, and call the necessary professionals for any needed repairs to broken materials.
- If you have standing water, dampness, or other water damage you will need to make the call to professional services to help with drying, cleaning, sanitizing, and mold prevention. Acting promptly in these situations is vital to avoid further damage.
What To Do While Waiting For Emergency Services?
- Stay safe
- Remove all valuables that can be damaged
- Remove furniture from the affected area
- Move as much off the wet carpet or floor as possible
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry at room temperature
- Remove wet fabrics, dry as soon as possible
- Remove any books, magazines, or other colored items from wet carpet or hardwood floors
What NOT To Do While Waiting For Emergency Services?
- Use your home vacuum to remove water
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. Keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
At Pro Response Restoration we are ready to take your call should a water emergency arise. We handle everything from water removal to water damage repair. We understand the stress and frustration caused by an emergency water damage crisis in your home or business. We are here to help you get back to pre-damage conditions quickly and easily, with as little hassle as possible. Call us today!
Related Blog Posts:
Additional References & Resources